Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Arduino Gemma USB Drivers for Windows

So I decided to learn about the world of micro controllers, arduino and electronics for a project I am trying to build later this month. In the process of doing so I have learned a lot from the adafruit.com website.
I started with an Adafruit Gemma and struggled for a few hours to get the drivers to load.
I tried both my Windows 7 64bit computer as well as my Windows XP machine.
The win7 box really struggled to install the driver it would only recognize it as "Unknown Device".
I finally found some posts that suggested using the hdwwiz.exe to manually install the driver.
I'm not exactly sure what solved the problem, but I ended up manually installing three separate drivers.
I reboot a few times as well.
At this point it worked, then started failing again about every other time I would reboot the gemma.
I finally discovered by accident that the gemma seemed to be stable if I unplugged my microsoft USB mouse.
Maybe some sort of conflict there.
In the meantime, I also tried getting the WinXP machine to recognize the usb drivers, it would load it as a trinket, and after a reboot and again installing the driver a second time it installed the usbtinyisp device into device manager.
However this one refused to work with the Arduino IDE.
I would only get the avrdude expected 4, got -5 errors and the verification error mentioned in the gemma getting started tutorial.
I found this post: http://www.adafruit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=45541
And after changing the avrdude.conf file chip_erase_delay setting from 9000000 to 4000000 and replacing the avrdude.exe file with the 11513 version from the above post it started working.
I get the TRINKET BOOTLOADER SELECTED message, but otherwise this works.
I hope this helps others out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment