Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First Post - Thanks to All

For years I have managed a large Campus Network as a lead Network Engineer and I have specialized in creating and managing a custom network management server.
Along the way I have become certified as a MCSE, CCNP, CWNA, A+, Security+, and Network+.
I have been a Cisco Certified Network Professional since April of 2000.
I have been the lead engineer for various projects including IP Video utilizing Cisco IPTV, VBrick and Optibase multicast solutions. I have been involved in the acquisition and operations of Tandberg Video Teleconferencing solutions, and various other IP Video and Voice services.
Also I have developed a custom database repository and web based management platform which includes front end interfaces for many NMS tools and utilities including VOIP asset tracking, Wireless client reports, communication closet databases, UPS graphical statistics, dynamic network uplink utilization charts and weathermaps, and various other tools.
Our campus includes over 25,000 users, 1200 network devices and over 50,000 network interfaces. Our network control center has utilized a wide array of third party network management solutions including Cisco Works, SNMPc, HP Openview and others, however we continue to find that there is a major gap that needs to be filled by custom NMS software.
Along the way I have been self-taught in various programming languages mostly based around Perl on Windows Servers(due to security restrictions), SNMP, SQL, RRDTool, HTML and CSS.
In treading this path I have learned many things with the help of Google and the community of web based tutorials, wikis, forums, and the open source community. I have run into many problems and struggles but I have usually discovered the solutions, sometime with a simple search, but also at times a long hard battle. I have typically documented my findings in a notepad, through a saved document, or just in my head. Well as I get older and my filing system gets more and more cluttered I find it harder to recall this information at the time it is needed. Therefore I am starting this blog as a repository for the lessons I have learned. This will be a needed resource that I can return to for reference, but also I am hoping that I can save some frustration of others out there traveling down the roads of computer frustration!
Drop me a line or comment if this has been of any assistance to you.
And thanks to all those who have contributed to my progress through this crazy world of Information Technology and Communications.
Thanks,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment