Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tomato E1000 Firmware issues

I have been deploying tomato shibby firmware version 1.04 for use in
various client offices with wireless disabled, so I had not noticed
these issues. I also, haven't experienced the same reliability that I
have with polar tomato, or tomato raf that I run on many different
networks with linksys e2000, wrt54gl, and wrt610n routers.
I noticed severe slowness on Internet speedtest sites using tomato
shibby 1.04. I tried upgrading to 1.06, but it would not install.
1.05 resulted in being unable to access the GUI page after changing
the admin settings. Using the reset button allowed me to get back in
and after a number of attempts I upgraded the firmware to the tomato
toastman version shown below.
1.28.0501
This version worked well, but seems to have the same problem as 1.04
with wan speeds.
Under advanced wireless settings, if it is set to WMM enabled then I
get fast speeds between LAN and wifi devices. Like 35Mbps as shown in
the wifiperf screenshot.
However wan speedtest is about 0.03 Mbps download.
If I disable the WMM, I get wan speeds of 22 Mbps on my Comcast 25M
connection, but LAN speeds drop to around 15Mbps.
So this is the setting I am using for now.
I'm not sure what else to try in order to improve this.
In researching things I noticed the linksys e1200 and e1500 and e1550
models are in the $25 - $60 range and there is now tomato raf support
for these devices. I'm off to order one of these to test for future
deployments.

No comments:

Post a Comment